Drugs and Alcoholby Ian Robinson
The issue of drugs and alcohol in the workplace is important and affects virtually every company or organisation, no matter how large or small.
In this topic we will be looking at the issue, the size of the problem, the steps an organisation can take to reduce the affects of drugs and alcohol abuse and the potential benefits of taking action now.
Advice is given on the development of drug and alcohol policies, carrying out risk assessments, training for line managers and other employees, searching of premises, drug screening of staff and the provision of treatment.
- Almost 17 million working days are lost each year due to alcohol misuse alone
- 40 per cent of the workforce under 40 have experimented with illicit drugs
- 25 per cent of those seeking help for drug problems are in employment
- Drug-using employees are three times more likely to require sick leave or benefits
- Members of staff under the influence of drugs or alcohol will only achieve 67 per cent of their work potential
- It is estimated that 25 per cent of all accidents at work are drug- or alcohol-related
With statistics like these, can you afford to do nothing?