Coaching Yourselfby Melanie Greene
Why should you want to coach yourself?
It is useful to start with thinking through why you should want to coach yourself. You could achieve any or all of the following benefits by coaching yourself:
- Increased performance
- Maintained performance
- Increased job satisfaction
- Fewer problems and an easier, more effective and efficient working life
- Developing and increasing your skill base
- Exposing yourself to more experiences
- Helping yourself to prepare for appraisals, performance management meetings or interviews
- Career change.
Coaching is assuming high importance in today’s business world, but few managers can or do make the time to coach all their subordinates on a daily basis. You may well be left to coach yourself for lack of any formal alternative.
At the end of the day, it’s down to you how fast and how well you learn and how much you get out of and put into your job.
Coaching yourself is an essential part of managing your career.
Coaching yourself is essential if you are to grow in self knowledge, and self knowledge is a crucial ingredient for those who wish to manage others or make the move from management to leadership.