Competency Frameworksby Julia Miller
- What is a competency framework?
- How do I start developing a competency framework?
- What does a competency statement look like?
- Should I involve a consultant?
1. What is a competency framework?
It is a structure that brings all the organisation’s competency statements together in a manageable and understandable way. The behaviours related to key skills, abilities and knowledge areas, both for specific job roles and for the organisation as a whole, are identified, grouped and described within the framework.
2. How do I start developing a competency framework?
Developing a competency framework that is relevant to your organisation and useful for your staff takes time. You need to think about your organisation’s objectives, both now and for the future, before writing any competency statements. There are five stages involved:
- Project planning
- Research to build a set of competencies
- Writing the competency statements
- Checking the framework and statements with others
3. What does a competency statement look like?
The key elements of a statement are that it should be focused on behaviour, be observable and be measurable.
4. Should I involve a consultant?
Consultants often have expertise in designing competency frameworks within your own industry and may well have templates. However, they do not know your business as well as you do, so it is always best to work together.